News:The Diwali will be less polluted this year due to unavailability of crackers because of strict certification norms by the Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organisation(PESO).
- Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization (PESO) is a statutory authority.
- It comes under the Department for the Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade(DPIIT),Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- It is the apex department to control and administer manufacture, storage, transport and handling of explosives, petroleum, compressed gases and other hazardous substances in India.
- It is entrusted with the responsibilities under the (a)Explosives Act, 1884, (b)Petroleum Act, 1934 (c)Inflammable Substances Act,1952 and (d)Environment (Protection Act),1986.
- The Organization is headed by Chief Controller of Explosives with its headquarters located at Nagpur (Maharashtra).