What is the News?
The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas has launched a month-long mass awareness campaign ‘SAKSHAM’.
About Saksham Campaign:
- Saksham is a fuel conservation campaign. Petroleum Conservation Research Association(PCRA) organized it.
- Aim: It will sensitize the masses about conservation and efficient use of petroleum products which will lead towards better health and environment.
- Earlier this program was known as Oil and Gas Conservation Fortnight, which was renamed as “Saksham (Sanrakshan Kshamta Mahotsav)” from 2017 onwards
- The campaign aims to convince consumers to switch to cleaner fuels and bring in behavioural change to use fossil fuel intelligently. The campaign will include various pan-India activities such as cyclothon, farmer workshops, seminars, etc.
- It has also spread awareness about 7 key drivers that collectively would help India move towards cleaner energy. The key drivers include:
- Moving towards a gas-based economy
- Cleaner use of fossil fuels
- Greater reliance on domestic sources to drive biofuels
- Achieving renewable targets with the set deadlines
- Increased use of electric vehicles to decarbonize mobility
- Increased use of cleaner fuels like Hydrogen and
- Digital innovation across all energy systems.
- It is a registered non-profit society under the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas. It was set up in 1978.
- It is a national government agency, promoting energy efficiency in various sectors of the economy.
- Furthermore, it helps the government in proposing policies and strategies for petroleum conservation. It aims at reducing the excessive dependence of the country on oil requirements.
- Headquarters: New Delhi