News:The Philippines is set to become the first country to buy the BrahMos cruise missile jointly developed by India and Russia.
About Brahmos missile:
- BrahMos is a Supersonic Cruise missile.It is a joint venture between India and Russia.It is named after Brahmaputra and Moscow rivers.
- The missile is capable of being launched from land, sea, sub-sea and air against surface and sea-based targets.
- The missile has a strike range of 290 km.It can be fired from land as well as sea-based platforms.
- It also features indigenous components such as propulsion system, airframe and power supply.
- The missile operates on the Fire and Forgets principle which means that it does not require further guidance after launch.
- Further,Brahmos is also one of the fastest cruise missiles deployed with the speed of Mach 2.8, which is 3 times more than the speed of sound.
About Supersonic Cruise missile:
- A cruise missile is an unmanned self-propelled (till the time of impact) guided vehicle that sustains flight through aerodynamic lift for most of its flight path.
- Supersonic cruise missile travels at a speed of around 2-3 Mach i.e.; it travels a kilometre approximately in a second.