What is the News?
The Prime Minister of India addressed the Climate Adaptation Summit 2021 virtually.
About Climate Adaptation Summit 2021
- Climate Adaptation Summit 2021: The summit is being hosted online by the Netherlands Government.
- Aim: CAS is aimed to accelerate, innovate and scale up global efforts in adapting to the effects of climate change. It will make the world as a climate-resilient world.
- Summit will keep up the momentum of the global efforts towards climate change adaptation till UNFCCC’s COP26 in Glasgow in 2021.
Commitments made by India
During the summit, the Indian Prime Minister mentioned the following aims of India towards adaptation:-
- To increase the renewable energy capacity to 450 gigawatts by 2030.
- Promoting LED lights and saving 38 million tons of carbon-dioxide emissions annually.
- To restore 26 million hectares of degraded land by 2030.
- Providing clean cooking fuel to 80 million rural households.
- Connecting 64 million households to a piped water supply.
1000 Cities Act Now initiative
The Initiative has been launched at Climate Adaptation Summit 2021.
- Aim: The initiative aims to at implementation of comprehensive climate resilience strategies and adaptation measures in 1,000 cities by 2030.
- To achieve this, the program is promoting a comprehensive package of measures. It includes the implementation of nature-based solutions, urban water resilience solutions, and a transformative capacity building program.
- Global Commission on Adaptation(GCA): It was launched in Hague in 2018 by the 8th Secretary-General of the United Nations Ban Ki-moon. But it was established by the Prime Minister of the Netherlands and the leaders of 22 other convening countries
- Mandate: To accelerate adaptation by elevating the political visibility of adaptation and focusing on concrete solutions.
- The Commission’s mandate came to an end following its Year of Action in 2020 with its work showcased at the Climate Adaptation Summit,2021. The Global Center on Adaptation will be taking forward its work.