PM flags off two schemes to revive wetlands, mangroves

Source: The post is based on the following article 

“PM flags off two schemes to revive wetlands, mangroves” published in the  Live Mint on 6th June 2023

“World Environment Day 2023 celebrated with a thrust on Mission LiFE” published in the PIB on 5th June 2023

What is the News?

On World Environment Day, in a move to revive wetlands and mangroves across the country, Prime Minister has launched two schemes named Amrit Dharohar and MISHTI (Mangrove Initiative for Shoreline Habitats and Tangible Incomes).

Note: MISHTI, Amrit Dharohar, PM PRANAM are the conservation initiatives mentioned in the Budget.

What is Amrit Dharohar scheme?


-To ensure the conservation of the existing Ramsar sites through public participation,

-To make Ramsar sites as centres of eco-tourism and a source of green jobs for thousands of people.

-To achieve sustainable ecosystem development with the help of local communities over the next three years.

Need: India currently has 75 Ramsar sites that are wetlands of international importance and designated under the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands. In the last nine years, the number of wetlands and Ramsar sites in India has increased almost three times. So a separate protection strategy is necessary.

What is MISHTI (Mangrove Initiative for Shoreline Habitats and Tangible Incomes)?

Source: Livemint


-To revive and protect the mangrove ecosystem in the country.

-To comprehensively explore the possible area for the development of mangroves covering nearly 540 sq km, spreading across 11 states and two union territories over five years, starting from FY2023-24.

Need: Mangroves are unique, natural eco-system having very high biological productivity and carbon sequestration potential, besides working as a bio-shield.

India accounts for about 3% of South Asia’s mangroves. Apart from the Sundarbans in West Bengal, the Andamans region, the Kachchh and Jamnagar areas in Gujarat have substantial mangrove cover.

Primary objectives: The sharing of best practices on plantation techniques, management practices, conservation measures and resource mobilization through the public-private partnership route.

Cost: MISHTI programme was launched with active participation of coastal States and UTs. The Centre covers 80% of the project cost, while state governments contribute the remaining 20%.

Duration and coverage: The Programme will cover approximately 540 sq km area across nine (9) coastal States and four (4) UTs in five years (2023-2028).

Activities:  a) It will create around 22.8 million man-days with estimated carbon sink of 4.5 million tons of Carbon, b) It will also create potential areas for nature tourism and livelihood potential for local communities.

Print Friendly and PDF