List of Contents
What is the News?
Recently the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) appreciated India’s progress in reducing premature mortality from non-communicable diseases (NCDs). The Indian Prime Minister(PM) has thanked the UNITAR in return.
About United Nations Institute for Training and Research(UNITAR)
- United Nations Institute for Training and Research(UNITAR) is a dedicated training arm of the United Nations system. It was founded in 1963.
- Purpose: UNITAR provides training and learning services to individuals, organizations and institutions. The services of UNITAR aims to enhance global decision-making and support country-level action for shaping a better future.
- Governance: UNITAR is operated as an autonomous body within the United Nations system. It is headed by an Executive Director and governed by a Board of Trustees. They are appointed by the United Nations Secretary-General.
- Funding: UNITAR does not receive any funds from the United Nations budget. The institute is financed entirely from voluntary contributions. It receives contributions mainly from the UN Member States, other UN agencies, Intergovernmental organization, NGOs and the private sector.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
About United Nations University(UNU):
- United Nations University(UNU) is the academic and research arm of the United Nations established in 1972.
- Purpose: Its mission is to help resolve global issues related to human development and welfare through collaborative research and education.
- Significance: Since 2010, UNU has been authorized by the UNGA to grant degrees, offering several masters and doctoral programs.
- Headquarters: Tokyo, Japan.
Source: The Hindu