What is the News?
The Prime Minister will inaugurate the ‘Maitri Setu’ bridge between India and Bangladesh.
About Maitri Setu:
- Constructed by: National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd.
- Maitri Setu is a bridge between India and Bangladesh. It is a 1.9 km long bridge over the Feni River. This bridge will connect Sabroom in India with Ramgarh in Bangladesh.
- The name ‘Maitri Setu’ symbolizes growing bilateral relations and friendly ties between India and Bangladesh.
- Significance: With the inauguration of this bridge, Tripura will become the ‘Gateway of North East’. It will have access to Chittagong Port of Bangladesh which is just 80 km from the Sabroom.
About Feni River:
- Feni River is a river in southeastern Bangladesh. It is a trans-boundary river with an ongoing dispute about water rights.
- Origin: The Feni River originates in South Tripura district and flows through Sabroom town and then enters Bangladesh.