News: Prime Minister will launch Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY SEHAT to extend coverage to all the residents of the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir.
- PM-JAY SEHAT: It aims to ensure Universal Health Coverage by providing free of cost insurance cover to all the residents of the UT of J&K.
- The scheme will cover the remaining population which has not been covered under the Ayushman Bharat Scheme.
Key Features of the PM-JAY SEHAT scheme:
- It provides financial cover up to Rs 5 lakh per family on a floater basis to all residents of the UT of J&K.
- It provides for operational extension of PM-JAY to 15 lakh (approx.) additional families.
- The scheme will operate on insurance mode in convergence with PM-JAY.
- The benefits of the scheme will be portable across the country. The hospitals empaneled under PM-JAY scheme shall provide services under this scheme as well.
- Significance: With the launch of ‘SEHAT’ Scheme, J&K will be among the first in the country to achieve Universal Health Coverage.
- Universal Health Coverage: It includes the full spectrum of essential, quality health services, from health promotion to prevention, treatment, rehabilitation, and palliative care and enables everyone to access the services, protecting people from the financial consequences of paying for health services out of their own pockets and reducing the risk that people will be pushed to poverty.
- Ayushman Bharat : It was launched in 2018.It is the world’s largest health insurance/ assurance scheme fully financed by the Centre.
- It provides a cover of Rs 5 lakh per family annually for secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation for public and private enlisted hospitals in the country.
- The two flagship programmes under Ayushman Bharat programme are (a) Health and Wellness Centre and (b) Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PM-JAY).