Andhra Pradesh ranked 1st in the country for the overall implementation of Poshan Abhiyan
News:NITI Aayog has released a report on the performance of States in the implementation of Poshan Abhiyan.
Key takeaways from the report:
- Andhra Pradesh ranked 1st in the country for the overall implementation of Poshan Abhiyan
- On the other hand, Tamil Nadu tops the list of the states in terms of the number of participants in the program.
About Poshan Abhiyan:
- The Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition or POSHAN Abhiyan or National Nutrition Mission was launched in 2018.It is implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- Aim: To achieve improvement in nutritional status of Children (0-6 years) and Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) in a time-bound manner and ensure attainment of malnutrition free India by 2022
- Targets: To reduce stunting, under-nutrition, anemia (among young children, women and adolescent girls) and reduce low birth weight by 2%, 2%, 3%, and 2% per annum respectively. It would strive to achieve a reduction in Stunting from 38.4% (NFHS-4) to 25% by 2022.