List of Contents
Source: This post is based on the article “PPP model of BharatNet” published in Indian Express on 31st August, 2021.
What is the News?
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has started pre-bid meetings with various stakeholders with respect to the public-private partnership model implementation for BharatNet.
What is BharatNet Project?
- BharatNet is a project envisioned by the Government of India to digitally connect all the Gram Panchayats (GPs) and Villages.
- The project is being implemented by the Department of Telecommunication under the Ministry of Communications.
|Read more: BharatNet Project|
BharatNet project through Public-Private Partnership model:
- Under this model, private partners will be selected through a competitive international bidding process.
- The selected private partner will be responsible for the creation, upgradation, operation, maintenance and utilisation of BharatNet.
- The project will initially be implemented in 16 states, with an aim to connect 3.61 lakh villages with the internet.
- Moreover, the project will be divided into nine packages, each corresponding to one or more telecom circles. No private investor will be awarded more than four packages to avoid monopoly.