What is the News? The Union government announced that 5 kg of food grains would be provided to 80 crore beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) for the months of May and June 2021.
About Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana(PMGKAY):
- Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana was announced as part of the relief package during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Aim: To ensure sufficient food for the poor and needy during the coronavirus crisis.
- Ministry: The department of Food and Public Distribution under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- Features: Under the scheme, about 80 Crore National Food Security Act(NFSA) beneficiaries are eligible for an additional quota of free-of-cost foodgrains (Rice/Wheat) at a scale of 5 Kg per person per month over and above their regular monthly entitlement.
- Duration: The scheme was announced in 2020 for three months till July. Later it was extended till November 2020 to combat the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the poor.
- However, the scheme is functional once again. As many States are undergoing curfews and the high rates of coronavirus infections, leading to a slowdown in economic activity.
Other Key Announcements:
- Indian Railways and the Indian Air Force(IAF) are being deployed to provide oxygen to different States.
- The Central government would be providing Covid-19 vaccines acquired by it to the States for free as in the past.
Source: The Hindu