What is the News?
The Central Government has informed that the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana(PMMVY) has crossed 1.75 crores of eligible women beneficiaries, till the financial year 2020.
Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana(PMMVY):
- Launched in: It is a maternity benefit scheme introduced in 2017. It is being implemented by the Ministry of Women and Child Development (MWCD). The scheme is in accordance with the National Food Security Act 2013.
- Type: It is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme
- To provide partial wage compensation to women for wage-loss during childbirth and childcare.
- To provide conditions for safe delivery and good nutrition and feeding practices.
- To breastfeed the child during the first six months of the birth. As it is very vital the development of the child.
- Beneficiaries: Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) who have their pregnancy on or after 1st January 2017 are eligible. The cash incentive is payable in three instalments for the first live birth.
- Exclusion: PW&LM who are in regular employment with the Central/State Government or PSUs or those who receive similar benefits under any law.
- Benefits: Under the Scheme, Pregnant Women and Lactating Mothers (PW&LM) receive a direct cash benefit transfer of Rs. 5,000 in three instalments. The amount will be credited to the beneficiary on fulfilling the respective conditions. Such as:
- Early registration of pregnancy (First instalment)
- Ante-natal check-up (Second instalment)
- Registration of the birth of the child and completion of the first cycle of vaccination. (Third instalment)
- The eligible beneficiaries also receive cash incentive under Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY). Thus, on average, a beneficiary will get Rs. 6,000.
- Implementation: The scheme is being implemented under the platform of Integrated Child Development Scheme.
- Janani Suraksha Yojana(JSY): It is a safe motherhood intervention scheme launched in 2005 under the National Health Mission (NHM).
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare is implementing the Scheme
- Objective: To reduce maternal and infant mortality by promoting institutional delivery among pregnant women.
- Benefits: Under the scheme, eligible pregnant women are entitled for cash assistance of Rs. 1400. There is no bar on the age of mother, the number of children or type of institution (government or private health facility).
Source: The Hindu