What is the News? The Government of India has approved the setting up of 22 new regional AIIMS (All India Institute of Medical Sciences) under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY) so far.
About Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana(PMSSY):
- Type: Central Sector Scheme
- Nodal Ministry: The scheme was announced in 2003 by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Objective: To correct regional imbalances in the availability of affordable/reliable tertiary healthcare services. Moreover, It will also augment facilities for quality medical education in the country.
- Components: The scheme has two components:
- Setting up of new AIIMS-like Institutions and
- Up-gradation of existing Government Medical Colleges /Institutions in a phased manner.
Total AIIMS established: Total of 22 new AIIMS have been announced so far under this component:-
- 6 AIIMS are already functional at Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Jodhpur, Patna, Raipur, and Rishikesh.
- 16 more AIIMS are approved by the Cabinet. Among them, 7 AIIMS, have started OPD facility and MBBS classes while in 5 AIIMS only MBBS classes have started.
Significance of the Scheme:
- Setting up new AIIMS would not only transform health education and training. It will also address the shortfall of health care professionals in the region.
- Further, their contribution becomes significant because they will serve areas where the health infrastructure is weak.