News:Recently,the Parliamentary committee’s has released a report on the performance of the PM Ujjwala Yojana.
Key takeaways from the Report:
- In September, 2019 Government has met the target of eight crore LPG connections under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana.
- However,only three States have become kerosene free namely Haryana, Punjab and Andhra Pradesh.
- On the other hand,the Union Territories that have become kerosene-free are Delhi, Chandigarh, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Andaman & Nicobar Island and Puducherry.
About Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY)
- Launched in 2016 by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.
- Aim:To replace unclean cooking fuels used in the most underprivileged households with clean and more efficient LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas).
- Objective of the scheme: a) Empower women and protect their health b) Reduce the serious health hazards associated with cooking based on fossil fuel c) Reduce the number of deaths in India due to unclean cooking fuel and d) To prevent young children from significant number of acute respiratory illnesses caused due to indoor air pollution.
- Beneficiaries:Under the scheme,an adult woman member of a below poverty line family identified through the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC) is given a deposit-free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs 1,600 per connection by the Centre.