What is the News?
The Managing Director of TRIFED recently highlighted the role played by Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana in changing the rural forest-dwelling tribal economy.
About Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana:
- The Ministry of Tribal Affairs launched Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana in 2018, under the Forest Rights Act of 2005.
- Aim: To provide remunerative and fair prices to tribal gatherers of their Minor Forest Produces. It could be almost 3 times higher than what would be available to them from middlemen,
- Component of: The scheme is a key component of the ‘Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain for MFP’ Scheme.
- At the National Level, TRIFED acts as the Nodal Agency.
- At the State level, the State Nodal Agency for MFPs and
- Lastly, at the grass-root level, the District collectors will play a pivotal role in scheme implementation.
- Key Features of the Scheme:
- Firstly, under the scheme, Van Dhan Vikas Kendras are set up. These centers cater to 10 Self Help Groups and each group consists of thirty tribal gathers.
- Secondly, Vikas Kendras provides skill up gradation and capacity building training and helps in setting up of primary processing and value addition facility
- Thirdly, They are also provided with working capital to add value to the products which they collect from the jungle.
- Fourthly, Working under the leadership of Collector these groups can then market their products not only within the States but also outside the States. TRIFED provides training and technical support.
Progress of the Scheme:
- The North-East Region is leading the way with 80% of the established Van Dhan Vikas Kendras(VDVKs). Further, among the Northeast region, Manipur has emerged as the Champion state.
- Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh are other states where the scheme has been adopted with overwhelming results.