News:Union Minister of State for Power and New & Renewable Energy(IC) and Union Minister of Coal has launched PRAKASH portal.
About the portal:
- PRAKASH stands for Power Rail Koyla Availability through Supply Harmony.
- The portal aims at bringing better coordination for coal supplies among all stakeholders namely Ministry of Power, Ministry of Coal, Coal India, Railways and power utilities.
- The portal is developed by NTPC and sources data from different stakeholders such as Central Electricity Authority(CEA), Centre for Railway Information System(CRIS) and coal companies.
- This portal will play an important role in ensuring adequate availability and optimum utilization of coal at thermal power plants.
Benefits of Portal to the Stakeholders:
- Coal company will be able to track stocks and the coal requirement at power stations for effective production planning
- Indian Railways will be able to plan to place the coal quantity as per actual coal available at power stations.
- Power stations can plan future schedule by knowing coal quantities in pipe line and expected time to reach.
- Ministry of Power /Ministry of Coal can review overall availability of coal at thermal power plants in different regions.
About Central Electricity Authority
- CEA is an organization originally constituted under Section 3(1) of the repealed Electricity (Supply) Act,1948, since substituted by Section 70 of the Electricity Act, 2003.
- It’s objective is to formulate National Electricity Plan every five years for optimum utilization of available resources for power generation.
- It works under the Ministry of Power and is located in New Delhi.
- NTPC is India’s largest power utility.It was established in 1975.
- It was incorporated under the Companies Act 1956 and is promoted by the Government of India.
- The headquarters of the company is situated in New Delhi.
About Centre for Railway Information System(CRIS):
- The Ministry of Railways set up CRIS as a society in July 1986.
- It designs, develops, implements and maintains most of the important information systems of Indian Railways.
- It is headquartered in New Delhi.