News: Prime Minister will inaugurate the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Convention to be held in virtual format on January 9 with Suriname President Chandrikapersad Santokhi as the chief guest.
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas(PBD) Convention: It is the flagship event of the Ministry of External Affairs and provides an important platform to engage and connect with the overseas Indian.
- Purpose: To recognize the overseas Indians who have contributed to the development of India.
- Significance: It is celebrated every year on January 9th because Mahatma Gandhi had returned to India from South Africa on January 09,1915.
- Theme: “Contributing to Atma Nirbhar Bharat”
- Pravasi Bharatiya Samman(PBSA): It is conferred every year on the occasion of Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to select Indian diaspora members to recognize their achievements and honour their contributions to various fields, both in India and abroad.
- Youth Pravasi Bharatiya Divas(PBD): It will also be celebrated virtually on the theme “Bringing together Young Achievers from India and Indian Diaspora” and will be anchored by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
- The Special Guest for the event is Ms.Priyanca Radhakrishnan, Minister for Community & Voluntary Sector of New Zealand.