News: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Fifth India International Science Festival at Biswa Bangla Convention Centre, Kolkata, on 5th November 2019.
About India International Science Festival
- It is an annual event organised jointly by science and technology related Ministries and Departments of the Government of India and Vijnana Bharati (Vibha). The first IISF was held in 2015 in New Delhi.
- Aim of IISF: It aims to build a strategy for inclusive advancement of Science and Technology. It seeks to instill scientific temper among the masses, showcase India’s contribution in the field of S&T over the years and encourage translation of its benefits to people.
- Theme of 2019 IISF: RISEN India – Research, Innovation, and Science Empowering the Nation.
- Vigyan Prasar is the nodal agency to coordinate the IISF 2019.
About Vigyan Prasar:
- It is an autonomous organisation of the Department of Science and Technology, Ministry of Science and Technology. It was set up in 1989 to take on large-scale science and technology popularisation programmes.
- Mandate:To promote and propagate a scientific and rational outlook in society.
- Objectives:Undertaking, promoting and co-ordinating science popularization programmes and inculcation of scientific temper among the people.
About Department of Science & Technology
- The Department of Science and Technology (DST) is a department within the Ministry of Science and Technology in India. It was established in May 1971.
- It seeks to promote new areas of science and technology. It plays the role of a nodal department for organising, coordinating and promoting scientific and technological activities in India.
- It also provides funds to various approved scientific projects in India. It further supports various researchers in India to attend conferences abroad and to go for experimental works.
About Vijnana Bharati
- Vijnana Bharati or VIBHA, previously known as ‘Swadeshi Science Movement’ is a non-profit organisation.
- It works towards popularization of science & implementation of modern technology & ancient sciences in India.
- It was founded in 1991 by the eminent scientists of Indian Institute of Science, Bengaluru led by Prof. K.I. Vasu.