News:Indian Prime Minister is on a visit to Russia as the guest of honour at Eastern Economic Forum(EEF).The bilateral summit was held on the sidelines of the EEF.
- India and Russia has agreed to open a maritime route between the ports of Chennai and Vladivostok to ensure connectivity between the two countries.A Memorandum of Intent was signed in this regard.
- This shipping link would enable to transfer cargo between Chennai and Vladivostok in 24 days in comparison to over 40 days currently taken to transport goods from India to Far East Russia via Europe.
- Russian has backed India’s moves on J&K and emphasised that both India and Russia are against outside influence in the internal matters of any nation.
- Russia has also agreed to help train Indian astronauts for the manned space mission named the Gaganyaan project.
- They have also signed a pact under which India will manufacture spare parts for Russian military equipment.This pact will convert the India Russia relationship from one of buyer-seller to a collaborative one.
- They have also signed a five-year road map for cooperation in the energy sector comprising joint development of oil and gas fields in Russia and India including offshore fields.
- They have also agreed to step up industrial cooperation and create new technological and investment partnership, especially in advanced high-tech areas with an aim to increase bilateral trade to $30 billion by 2025.
- Further,the two countries highlighted the successful cooperation in the construction of the Rooppur Nuclear power plant(NPP) in Bangladesh and expressed their readiness to expand similar cooperation in third countries.