What is the News? Project DANTAK is commemorating its Diamond Jubilee i.e 60 years in Bhutan.
About Project DANTAK
- Project DANTAK was established in 1961 under the leadership of the Third King of Bhutan and then Indian Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- Objective: It was established with the objective of developing roads, telecommunication networks and other such landmark infrastructure-related projects in Bhutan.
- Nodal Agency: Border Roads Organisation(BRO)
Key Achievements of the Project:
- Firstly, Project DANTAK completed the road connecting Samdrup Jongkhar to Trashigang in 1968. In the same year, Thimphu was connected to Phuentsholing.
- Secondly, Some other notable projects executed by the project include the construction of Paro Airport, Yonphula Airfield, Thimphu – Trashigang Highway, Telecommunication & Hydro Power Infrastructure, Sherubtse College, Kanglung and India House Estate.
- Thirdly, the medical and education facilities established by DANTAK in far-flung areas were often the first in those locations
- Further, the project also established food outlets along the road. The famous Takthi Canteen midway between Phuentsholing and Thimphu is a compulsory stop for travellers.