News:Scientists have confirmed the existence of Proxima Centauri b as an Earth-sized planet.
- Proxima Centauri b is an exoplanet orbiting in the habitable zone of the star Proxima Centauri.
- It is located approximately 4.2 light-years from Earth making it the closest known exoplanet to the Solar System.
- Proxima Centauri:It is the red dwarf star closest to the Sun lying just four light years away in the southern constellation of Centaurus.
- Exoplanet: It is a planet outside the Solar System.The first confirmation of detection of exoplanet occurred in 1992.
- Habitable Zone(Goldilocks zone): It is the area around a star where it is not too hot and not too cold for liquid water to exist on the surface of surrounding planets.Our Earth is in the Sun’s Goldilocks zone.