List of Contents
What is the News?
Puducherry has become the ‘Har Ghar Jal’ Union Territory by ensuring that every rural home gets a household tap connection.
Note: Puducherry has become the fourth state or UT after Goa, Telangana and Andaman and Nicobar Islands to provide assured tap water supply to every rural home under Jal Jeevan Mission(JJM).
About Jal Jeevan Mission(JJM):
- Jal Jeevan Mission(JJM) was launched by the Ministry of Jal Shakti in 2019.
- Objective: The aim is to provide safe and adequate drinking water through individual household tap connections by 2024 to all households in rural India.
- The goal of the mission: The goal is to have ‘Har Ghar Jal’- every house in the village is to be provided with a Functional tap connection.
Fund Sharing Pattern under the mission:
- The fund sharing pattern between Center and State under the mission is as follow:
- 90:10 for Himalayan (Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh) and North-Eastern States
- Total fund for UTs will be provided by Center.
- 50:50 for the rest of the States.
Key Features of the mission:
- Firstly, the mission is a decentralized, demand-driven and community-managed programme. The Gram Panchayat will play a key role in planning and implementation.
- Secondly, the mission includes extensive Information, Education and communication as a key component of the mission.
- Thirdly, the mission will also implement source sustainability measures as mandatory elements. This includes measures such as recharge and reuse through greywater management, water conservation, rainwater harvesting.
- Further, States will give priority to
- Water quality-affected areas,
- Villages in drought-prone and desert areas,
- Scheduled caste/scheduled tribe majority villages,
- Aspirational districts and Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana villages.