News:The Managing Committee of Shree Jagannath Temple has recommended construction of chariots used in the annual rath yatra.However,uncertainty continued to prevail over holding the festival due to Coronavirus pandemic.
- The Jagannath Rath Yatra festival is popularly known as the ‘Festival of Chariots’.
- The festival is dedicated to Lord Jagannath,his sister Goddess Subhadra and elder brother Balabhadra.
- During the festival,the three deities make an annual Journey to their aunt’s temple (Gundicha Temple) from Lord Jagannath temple.
Lord Jagannath temple:
- The Jagannath Temple is located in Puri,Odisha,It is also called the White Pagoda.
- The temple is believed to be constructed in the 12th century by King Anatavarman Chodaganga Deva of the Eastern Ganga Dynasty.
- The temple is a part of Char Dham (Badrinath, Dwaraka, Puri, Rameswaram) pilgrimages that a Hindu is expected to make in one’s lifetime.
- Significance:Most of the deities in the temples of India are made of stone or metal.But the idol of Jagannatha is made of wood which is ceremoniously replaced in every twelve or nineteen years by using sacred trees.