List of Contents
What is the News?
Indigenously-developed Tejas Aircraft has been cleared to carry fifth-generation Python-5 air-to-air missile as part of its weapons package. This move would significantly enhance the combat prowess of the Tejas Aircraft.
- Python-5 is a fifth-generation air-to-air missile(AAM) manufactured by Israeli Rafael Advanced Defense Systems.
- The Python-5 Missile was first used in the 2006 Lebanon war. During the war, it destroyed two Iran made UAVs.
- Firstly, the missile can be launched from very short to beyond-visual ranges with greater kill probability and excellent resistance.
- Secondly, Python-5 is capable of “lock-on after launch” (LOAL). The missile also has a full-sphere/all-direction (including rearward) attack ability.
- Thirdly, the missile also features an advanced seeker with an electro-optical and imaging infrared homing seeker. This seeker scans the target area for hostile aircraft, then locks on for the terminal chase.
About Light Combat Aircraft(LCA) Tejas:
- It is a single-engine, fourth-generation, multirole light fighter aircraft designed by the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).
- Developed by: It was developed in collaboration with Hindustan Aeronautics Limited(HAL) for the Indian Air Force(IAF) and Indian Navy.
About other Israeli Missile (Derby):
- Derby is a beyond visual range (BVR) air-to-air missile (AAM) developed by Israeli defence company Rafael Advanced Defense Systems.
- The integration of missile can happen onto a variety of fighter aircraft such as F-16 Fighting Falcon, Mirage.
- The missile is capable of engaging aerial threats from short ranges and near-beyond visual range.
Source: The Print