Q. A report titled ‘Harnessing Green Hydrogen: Opportunities for Deep Decarbonisation in India’ has been released by which of the following?
Explanation: NITI Aayog has released a report titled ‘Harnessing Green Hydrogen: Opportunities for Deep Decarbonisation in India’.
About Green Hydrogen
- Green hydrogen is hydrogen gas produced through the electrolysis of water using renewable power.
- Electrolysis is an energy intensive process for splitting water into hydrogen and oxygen.
Demand for Green Hydrogen
- The report predicted that hydrogen demand in India could grow more than 4-fold by 2050, representing almost 10% of global hydrogen demand.
- In the longer term, steel and heavy-duty trucking are likely to drive the majority of demand growth, accounting for almost 52% of total demand by 2050.
Benefits of Adoption of Green Hydrogen
- Adoption of green hydrogen will result in 3.6 giga tonnes of cumulative CO2 emissions reductions between 2020 and 2050.
- Energy import savings from green hydrogen can range from US$ 246 billion to US$ 358 billion within the same period.
- Beyond the financial savings, the energy security that green hydrogen provides will translate to less volatile price inputs for India’s industries as well as strengthen India’s foreign exchange situation in the long run.
Source: EPIC July 2022