Q. “A Resolution to authorise the UN Security Council to deliberate on climate change-related issues was rejected recently.” With respect to this, which of the following statement is/are correct?
1. The resolution was sponsored by Ireland and Niger.
2. India voted in favor of resolution.
3. It has been vetoed by Russia.
Select the correct answer using the codes given below:
About the resolution:
- The resolution was sponsored by Ireland and Niger. The resolution sought to create a formal space in the UN Security Council for discussions on climate change and its implications on international security.
- It has also called for the UN Secretary-General to submit a report on security aspects of climate change in the next two years and appoint a special envoy for climate security.
- Further, it asked UN field missions to regularly report on climate change assessments in their areas of operation and take the help of climate experts in carrying out their routine functions.
What did India say regarding the resolution?
- The attempt to discuss climate action and climate justice issues at the UNSC was motivated by a desire to evade responsibilityin the appropriate forum.
- The draft resolution, would undermine progress made at Glasgow, where the 26thUnited Nations Climate Change Conference took place.
- Also, the reason countries were attempting to bring climate talks to the Security Council was that decisions could be taken without consensus orthe involvement of most developing countries.
- Moreover, if the Security Council indeed takes over the responsibility on this issue, a few states will then have a free hand in deciding on all climate-related issues. This is clearly neither desirable nor acceptable.
- Lastly, India stated that viewing conflicts through the prism of climate change wasmisleading and an oversimplification that could worsen conflicts rather than resolving them.