Q. “arabica, robusta and liberica” are related to which of the following crop?
Explanation: Coffee is a tropical plantation crop. Its seeds are roasted, ground and are used for preparing a beverage.
- There are three varieties of coffee i.e. arabica, robusta and liberica.
- India mostly grows superior quality coffee, arabica, which is in great demand in international market.
- But India produces only about 3.17 per cent coffee of the world and ranks eighth after Brazil, Vietnam, Indonesia, Colombia, Honduras, Ethiopia and Peru in 2018.
- Coffee is cultivated in the highlands of Western Ghats in Karnataka, Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- Karnataka alone accounts for more than two-third of total production of coffee in the country.
Source: NCERT – India People & Economy