Q. CAPSTONE, a microwave oven-sized CubeSat, recently seen in news is launched by which of the following organisations?
- NASA has launched CAPSTONE, a microwave oven-sized CubeSat weighing just 25 kg.
- It stands for Cislunar Autonomous Positioning System Technology Operations and Navigation Experiment (CAPSTONE).
- Its aim is to help reduce risk for future spacecraft by validating innovative navigation technologies and by verifying the dynamics of the halo-shaped orbit.
- At the Moon, CAPSTONE will enter NRHO, where it will fly within 1,600 km of the Moon’s North Pole on its near pass and 70,000 km from the South Pole at its farthest.
- The spacecraft will repeat the cycle every six-and-a-half days and maintain this orbit for at least six months to study dynamics. The study will provide useful insights for Gateway mission.
Source: EPIC July 2022