Q. Consider the following pair of persons and their occupation during Mughal period:
1. Nilakantha– Physician
2. Basawan– Poet
3. Tansen– Musician
Which of the above given pair is/are correctly matched?
The Mughals achieved international recognition in the field of painting. Mughal miniatures are an important part of the museums of the world.
- The Persian text of Mahabharata and Akbar Namah were illustrated with paintings by various painters. Daswant and Basawan were famous painters of Akbar’s court.
- According to Ain-i-Akbari, Tansen of Gwalior, credited with composing of many ragas, was patronised by Akbar along with 35 other musicians.
- Jahangir and Shah Jahan were patrons of music. Though there is a popular misconception that Aurangzeb was against music, a large number of books on Indian classical music were written during his regime.
- The Sanskrit works produced during the Mughal rule are impressive. Sanskrit literature of this period is noted for the kavyas and historical poetry.
- Rajavalipataka, a kavya, written by Prajna bhatta which completed the history of Kashmir belonged to reign of Akbar.
- Graeco-Arabic learning was transmitted to India through Persian works in the form of Sanskrit translations.
- Akbar’s astronomer Nilakantha wrote the Tajika Neelakanthi, an astrological treatise.
- Shah Jahan’s court poet Jaganatha Panditha wrote the monumental Rasagangadhara.
Source: Tamil Nadu state board.