Q. Consider the following pairs:
1. Moho Discontinuity:Separates Crust and mantle
2. Gutenberg Discontinuity:Separates mantle and core
3. Connardo Discontinuity:Separates Felsic and Mefic layer
Which of the above given pairs is/are correctly matched?
The portion of the interior beyond the crust is called the mantle. The mantle extends from Moho’s discontinuity to a depth of 2,900 km. The upper portion of the mantle is called asthenosphere.
- Connardo’s discontinuity separates upper felsic layer of continent from mefic layer. It is only present within continental crust and not in the oceanic layer.
- While the Gutenberg discontinuity separates the lower mantle from the core. It is present at about 2900 km of depth.
Source: NCERT – XI Fundamentals of Physical Geography