Q. Consider the following plates:
Which one of the following is/are minor plate?
Explanation: The major plates are as follows :
Major and minor plates of the world I Antarctica and the surrounding oceanic plate II North American (with western Atlantic floor separated from the South American plate along the Caribbean islands) plate III South American (with western Atlantic floor separated from the North American plate along the Caribbean islands) plate IV Pacific plate V India-Australia-New Zealand plate VI Africa with the eastern Atlantic floor plate VII Eurasia and the adjacent oceanic plate.
Some important minor plates are listed below:
- Cocos plate: Between Central America and Pacific plate
- Nazca plate: Between South America and Pacific plate
- Arabian plate: Mostly the Saudi Arabian landmass
- Philippine plate: Between the Asiatic and Pacific plate
- Caroline plate: Between the Philippine and Indian plate (North of New Guinea)
- Fuji plate: North-east of Australia.
Source: NCERT Class 11