Q. Consider the following statement:
1. The top-grade officer of the army during Vijaynagar was known as Poligars.
2. Soldiers were paid in kind.
Which of the statement given above is/are correct?
- The Vijayanagar army was well-organized and efficient.
- It consisted of the cavalry, infantry, artillery and elephants. High-breed horses were procured from foreign traders.
- The top-grade officers of the army were known as Nayaks or Poligars. They were granted land in lieu of their services. These lands were called amaram.
- Soldiers were usually paid in cash.
Source: Tamil Nadu Board Class 11