Q. Consider the following statement about Earth:
1. From the outermost end of the atmosphere to the centre of the earth, the material that exists is uniform.
2. The atmospheric matter has the most density.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Explanation: Evolution of the Earth
- The planet earth initially was a barren, rocky and hot object with a thin atmosphere of hydrogen and helium. This is far from the present day picture of the earth.
- Hence, there must have been some events– processes, which may have caused this change from rocky, barren and hot earth to a beautiful planet with ample amount of water and conducive atmosphere favouring the existence of life.
- In the following section, you will find out how the period, between the 4,600 million years and the present, led to the evolution of life on the surface of the planet.
- The earth has a layered structure. From the outermost end of the atmosphere to the centre of the earth, the material that exists is not uniform.
- The atmospheric matter has the least density. From the surface to deeper depths, the earth’s interior has different zones and each of these contains materials with different characteristics.
Source: NCERT Class 11