Q. Consider the following statement regarding Advanced Chaff Technology
1. It is used by militaries worldwide to protect their assets from radar and radio frequency(RF) guiding mechanisms of the enemy missile.
2. India so far did not have this technology indigenously
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force (IAF) against hostile radar threats.
What is Advanced Chaff Technology?
- Chaff is an electronic countermeasure technology. It is used by militaries worldwide to protect their assets like naval vessels and aircraft from radar and radio frequency(RF) guiding mechanisms of the enemy missile.
- A very little quantity of chaff material deployed in the air acts as a decoy.
- The chaff deployed in the air reflects multiple targets for the missile guidance systems, thus misleading the enemy radars or deflecting adversary missiles.