Q. Consider the following statements about Cervavac:
1. Cervavac is India’s first quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine (qHPV) vaccine.
2. It is intended to protect women against breast cancer.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Explanation: About Cervavac:
- Cervavac is India’s first quadrivalent human papillomavirus vaccine (qHPV) vaccine. It is intended to protect women against cervical cancer.
- The vaccine is based on VLP (virus-like particles), similar to the hepatitis B vaccine and provides protection by generating antibodies against the HPV virus’s L1 protein.
- The approval of this vaccine will allow the government to procure enough HPV vaccines at a special price to vaccinate nearly 50 million girls aged 9–14 years in India who are waiting to receive the vaccine.
- This will be a huge step to accelerate cervical cancer elimination in India and globally.
Source: EPIC July 2022