Q. Consider the following statements about coal:
1. Anthracite coal is the best quality of coal.
2. 98% of India’s total coal is found in Gondwana rocks of Moran region.
Which of the above given statement is/are correct?
Explanation: There are four types of coal found in India:
- Anthracite (Best quality of coal found only in Jammu & Kashmir);
- Bituminous (Second best quality of coal);
- Lignite (Found in Tamil Nadu, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Jammu & Kashmir)
- Peat (first stage of formation of coal. It has high carbon content.)
- Coal accounts for approx. 67 % of total commercial energy produced in India and 98% of India’s total account is found in Gondwana rocks of Moran region.
- The main regions of Gondwana rocks are found in West Bengal, Jharkhand and Odisha. The first effort made to extract coal with modern technology in India was at Ranigunj coal region in West Bengal.