Q. Consider the following statements about EU’s Nature Restoration Law:
1. It aims to cover at least 50% of the EU’s land and sea areas by 2030 with nature restoration measures.
2. It aims to halve the use of pesticides across Europe by 2030.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Explanation: EU’s Nature Restoration Law:
- The European Commission (EC) has unveiled a draft ‘Nature Restoration Law’ to restore nature and mitigate climate change on the European continent.
- It aims to cover at least 20% of the EU’s land and sea areas by 2030 with nature restoration measures, and extend these to all ecosystems in need of restoration by 2050.
- It sets several targets like to halve the use of pesticides across Europe by 2030, no net loss of green urban spaces by 2030 etc.
- The EU countries and the European Parliament will need to approve the draft legislation before it becomes law.
- Under the law, ~€100 billion ($105 billion) will be available for biodiversity spending, including restoration.
Source: EPIC July 2022