Q. Consider the following statements about Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS):
1. The 7th edition of 2021 was hosted by Indian Navy.
2. IONS is a biennial forum conceived by the Indian Navy in 2008.
3. To enhance maritime cooperation among Navies of the littoral states of the Indian Ocean Region.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
About the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS):
- IONS is a biennial forum conceived by the Indian Navyin 2008.
Objective: To enhance maritime cooperation among Navies of the littoral states of the Indian Ocean Region.
Chaired by: The inaugural edition of IONS was held in Feb 2008 in New Delhi with the Indian Navy as the Chair for two years. It is currently chaired by France.
Members of IONS: IONS includes 24 nations that hold territory within the Indian Ocean and 8 observer nations:
The members have been geographically grouped into the following four sub-regions:
- South Asian Littorals: Bangladesh, India, Maldives, Pakistan, Seychelles, Sri Lanka, and United Kingdom (British Indian Ocean Territory)
- West Asian Littorals: Iran, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates
- East African Littorals: France (Reunion), Kenya, Mauritius, Mozambique, South Africa, and Tanzania.
- Southeast Asian and Australian Littorals: Australia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Thailand, and Timor-Leste.
Note: U.K and France are also part of IONS due to their presence in Indian Ocean.
Observer Nations: China, Germany, Italy, Japan, Madagascar, the Netherlands, Russia, and Spain.
Source: Summits and Conferences