Q. Consider the following statements about Indian Pangolin:
1. They have large, protective keratin scales covering their skin and they are the only known mammals with this feature.
2. It is protected under Schedule I of WPA, 1972.
3. It is Critically Endangered under IUCN.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
About Nandankanan Zoological Park (NZP):
- Unlike other zoos in the country, Nandankanan is built right inside the forest and set in a completely natural environment.
Source: Wildlife Institute of India
Location: It is located in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
Flora: A diverse variety of plants, orchids, creepers, cacti, palms, and 750 species of plants are seen here.
Fauna: Nandankanan has been internationally acclaimed for its highest collection of white tigers in the world. Besides, gharials and white tigers, leopards, pangolin, mouse deer, lions, ratel and vultures are also bred here. It is recognized as a leading zoo for the breeding of the Indian pangolin and white tiger.
- It is the first zoo in the World to breed White tiger and Melanistic tiger and it is the only conservation breeding center of Indian Pangolins in the world.
- First captive breeding center for endangered Gharials in the year 1980.
- Kanjia Lake – A wetland of National importance (2006).
- It is the only zoological parkin India to become an institutional member of World Association of Zoos and Aquarium (WAZA).
- It is the only zoo in India after which an express train Puri-New Delhi express has been named as “Nandankanan Express”.
- It is the first zoo in India where endangered Ratel was born in captivity.
Source: Source: Protected areas