Q. Consider the following statements about International Solar Alliance (ISA):
1. It is a special platform for mutual cooperation among solar resource rich countries lying above and below Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn respectively.
2. The ISA secretariat will be set up in National Institute of Solar Energy, Gurgaon.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Explanation: International Solar Alliance:
- International Solar Alliance (ISA) is launched at the CoP21 Climate Conference in Paris on 30th November as a special platform for mutual cooperation among 121 solar resource rich countries lying fully or partially between Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn.
- The alliance is dedicated to address special energy needs of ISA member countries.
- International Agency for Solar Policy and Application (IASPA) will be the formal name of International Solar Alliance.
- The ISA secretariat will be set up in National Institute of Solar Energy, Gurgaon.
- to force down prices by driving demand;
- to bring standardization in solar technologies
- to foster research and development.
Prime Minister coined the new term “Surya Putra” for all the nations which fall between Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn, and which have been invited to join the alliance. The other term used for these countries is “Sunshine Countries”.