Q. Consider the following statements about National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK)::
1. It is a non-permanent constitutional body.
2. It make reports to the Central or State Governments on any matter concerning Safai Karamcharis.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
About the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK):
Type: It is a statutory body created as per the provisions of the NCSK Act, 1993.
Tenure of the commission: It was initially set up in 1994 for three years. Later the validity of the Act was extended till 2004. However, the NCSK Act ceased to have effect from 2004.
After that, the tenure of the NCSK has been extended as a non-statutory body from time to time through resolutions. The tenure of the present Commission is up to 31st March 2022.
Mandate of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK)
- Recommend the Government regarding specific programmes for welfare of Safai Karamcharis,
- Study and evaluate the existing welfare programmes for Safai Karamcharis,
- Investigate cases of specific grievance of Safai Karamcharis,
- To study and monitor the working conditions of Safai Karamcharis,
- Make reports to the Central or State Governments on any matter concerning Safai Karamcharis.
Moreover, as per the provisions of the Prohibition of Employment as Manual Scavengers and their Rehabilitation Act, 2013, the NCSK has been assigned the following work:
- To monitor the implementation of the Act
- Tender advice for its effective implementation to the Centre and State Governments, and enquire into complaints regarding contravention/non-implementation of the provisions of the Act.
Source: Organizations in news