Q. Consider the following statements about the last ruler of the Bhonsle dynasty of the Maratha principality of Thanjavur:
1. Serfoji II established Dhanvantari Mahal, a research institute that produced western medicine for humans and animals.
2. Serfoji authored Devendra Kuravanji and mudrarakshaschaya.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Serfoji II established Dhanvantari Mahal, a research institution that produced herbal medicine for humans and animals. Maintaining case-sheets of patients was introduced.
- Physicians of modern medicine, Ayurveda, Unani and Siddha schools undertook research on drugs and herbs for medical cure. They produced eighteen volumes of research material.
- Serfoji II was a patron of traditional Indian arts like dance and music. He authored Kumarasambhava Champu, Devendra Kuravanji, and Mudra rakshaschaya.
- He introduced western musical instruments like clarinet, and violin in Carnatic music. He is also credited with popularising the unique Thanjavur style of painting.
- Serfoji was interested in painting, gardening, coin-collecting, martial arts and patronized chariot-racing, hunting and bull-fighting.
- He created the first zoological garden in Tamilnadu in the Thanjavur palace premises.
Source: Tamil Nadu state board.