Q. Consider the following statements Agro-based industries in India:
1. The first successful textile mill was established in Gujarat in 1854
2. The first jute mill was set up near Kolkata in 1859
Which of the following codes below given is/are correct?
Explanation: Agro-based industries in India
- In ancient India, cotton textiles were produced with hand spinning and handloom weaving techniques. After the 18th century, power-looms came into use.
- Our traditional industries suffered a setback during the colonial period because they could not compete with the mill-made cloth from England.
- The first successful textile mill was established in Mumbai in 1854.
- The two world wars were fought in Europe, India was a British colony. There was a demand for cloth in U.K. hence; they gave a boost to the development of the cotton textile industry.
- The first jute mill was set up near Kolkata in 1859 at Rishra. After Partition in 1947, the jute mills remained in India but three-fourth of the jute producing area went to Bangladesh (erstwhile East Pakistan).