Q. Consider the following statements regarding Accelerated Irrigation Benefit Programme (AIBP):
1. It was launched in sixth plan to support major and medium irrigation projects.
2. At present, AIBP became a part of PMKSY.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Central Government launched the Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP) in the year 1996-97 to provide Central Assistance to major/medium irrigation projects in the country, with the objective to accelerate implementation of such projects which were beyond resource capability of the States or were in advanced stage of completion.
- Priority was given to those projects which were started in Pre-Fifth and Fifth Plan period and also to those which were benefiting Tribal and Drought Prone Areas.
- After launch of PMKSY in 2015-16, AIBP became a part of PMKSY.
- Since its inception, 297 Irrigation / Multi-Purpose Projects have been included for funding under AIBP.
Source: TMH Ramesh Singh