Q. Consider the following statements regarding Animal Welfare Board of India:
1. It was established at the time of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
2. It was established through Statutory Act.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
The Animal Welfare Board of India is a statutory advisory body on Animal Welfare Laws and promotes animal welfare in the country.
- Established in 1962 under Section 4 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 (No. 59 of 1960), the Animal Welfare Board of India was started under the stewardship of Late Smt. Rukmini Devi Arundale, well known humanitarian.
- From ensuring that animal welfare laws in the country are diligently followed, to provide grants to Animal Welfare Organizations and advising the Government of India on animal welfare issues, the Board has been the face of the animal welfare movement in the country for the last 50 years.
- The Board consists of 28 Members. The term of office of Members is for a period of 3 years.