Q. Consider the following statements regarding Bird Flu
1. It is a disease caused by avian influenza Type A viruses found naturally in wild birds worldwide.
2. The virus can infect domestic poultry, wild pigs, cats and tigers
3. The Bird flu infections has so far not identified in humans.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
Recently, an 11-year-old boy died of H5N1 avian influenza in Delhi. This is the first recorded death due to the bird flu in India this year.
- It is a disease caused by avian influenza Type A viruses found naturally in wild birds worldwide.
- The virus can infect domestic poultry and there have been reports of H5N1 infection among pigs, cats, and even tigers in Thailand zoos.
- Symptoms have ranged from mild to severe influenza-like illness.
- There have been reports of avian and swine influenza infections in humans.
- The infection is deadly as it has a high mortality rate of about 60%.
Source: Down To Earth