Q. Consider the following statements regarding Deepfakes
1. These are modified images, text, audio, and video or synthetic media, created with the help of Artificial Intelligence.
2. The existence of deep fakes causes much distrust among the public that any true evidence of a crime can easily be dismissed as fake.
3. The existing legal framework in India criminalize deep fakes.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
- Deepfakes are modified images, text, audio, and video or synthetic media, created with the help of Artificial Intelligence.
- It generates a fake version from an original or real audio-visual content by superimposing new audio or image on an existing media file.
- For example; with the use of AI, the face of a person in an original video can be replaced with the face of another person (Morphing). Now the modified face will mimic the head movements, vocal patterns, and facial expressions of the original one.
- Potential harms of deep fakes:
- Deep fakes can be used to disrupt the democratic processes like elections in any country.
- Deep Fakes are used to stain the reputations of individuals and spread propaganda against them.
- The existence of deep fakes causes that much distrust among the public that any true evidence of a crime can easily be dismissed as fake.
- The existing legal framework of many countries including India does not criminalize deep fakes.
Source: AI’s dark side