Q. Consider the following statements regarding District Disaster Management Authority (DDMA):
1. Disaster management act provides for constitution of DDMA for every district of a state.
2. It is headed by local elected representative.
3. It is responsible for planning, coordination and implementation of disaster management.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Section 25 of the DM Act provides for constitution of DDMA for every district of a state.
- The District Magistrate/ District Collector/Deputy Commissioner heads the Authority as Chairperson besides an elected representative of the local authority as Co-Chairperson except in the tribal areas where the Chief Executive Member of the District Council of Autonomous District is designated as Co-Chairperson.
- Further in district, where Zila Parishad exists, its Chairperson shall be the Co-Chairperson of DDMA.
- The District Authority is responsible for planning, coordination and implementation of disaster management and to take such measures for disaster management as provided in the guidelines.
- The District Authority also has the power to examine the construction in any area in the district to enforce the safety standards and to arrange for relief measures and respond to the disaster at the district level.
Source: Ministry of Home Affairs