Q. Consider the following statements regarding Dugong:
1. It is the only herbivorous mammal that is strictly marine.
2. It is also called as sea cow.
Which of the statements given above is/are NOT correct?
Dugong (Dugong dugon) is the only herbivorous mammal that is strictly marine and the only member of the Order Sirenia found in India.
- Dugongs are restricted to coastal shallow marine habitats and grazes on the sea grass meadows in coastal waters and are therefore called as “Sea Cows”.
- In India, it is one of the most seriously endangered species of large mammals.
- Dugongs are vulnerable to anthropogenic pressures as they are solely dependent on sea grasses in coastal areas, which now have been seriously damaged by mining, trawling etc.
- Dugongs have also been hunted for their meat, oil, hides, bones and teeth.