Q. Consider the following statements regarding energy flow in ecosystem:
1. Energy always flows from lower to higher trophic level.
2. It never flows in the reverse direction.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
Trophic level interaction deals with how the members of an ecosystem are connected based on nutritional needs.
- Energy flows through the trophic levels: from producers to subsequent trophic levels.
- This energy always flows from lower (producer) to higher (herbivore, carnivore etc.) trophic level.
- It never flows in the reverse direction that is from carnivores to herbivores to producers.